I did it!!!! Finally! The Best Margarita Ever! The thing is, there are so many different recipes online all giving different proportions of ingredients and they all claim to be authentic! I tried at least a dozen, but none came close to my favorite margarita at Bar Taco, in Wesport CT. I gave up in frustration, but the other day as I was driving my kids to dance (what can I say, I am always thinking about margaritas), the correct proportions came to me like that!
If you can get your hands on them (they’re hard to find), use the brands in parenthesis which are the ones Bar Taco uses. I don’t like my margaritas overly sweet so 2 tablespoons of agave is perfect for me, but if you find that you like yours sweeter just add another tablespoon. I used Cointreau in this recipe, but many recipes use triple-sec or other orange flavored liqueurs. I get lazy about juicing limes by hand because sometimes they are too dry so if you have a juicer, just cut away the peel and juice in the machine.
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3/4 cup good tequila (Maestro Dobel Reposado)
- 1/4 cup cointreau, triple sec or orange flavored liqueur (Combier Liqueur D'orange)
- 2-3 tablespoons agave syrup
- Margarita or kosher salt for glass rims
- Fill a cocktail shaker 3/4 of the way full with ice.
- Add the lime juice, tequila, orange flavored liqueur and 2 tablespoons of agave... shake vigorously and taste. If you prefer it sweeter, add another tablespoon of agave.
- Rub some lime juice around the rim of your glasses and dip them into a bowl of margarita or kosher salt.
- Add plenty of ice into the individual glasses, pour in margarita mixture and serve.