While I love good food I’d rather be on the sofa relaxing with a cup of coffee mindlessly watching Housewives of Beverly Hills than slaving away over a complicated recipe. This Easy Meatloaf recipe shows once again, that a meal doesn’t have to be difficult to prepare in order for it to be spectacular. Recipes with a long list of ingredients turn me off immediately. Call me lazy but I have very little time, so while I demand good food (living in NYC does that to you) I’m not willing to stress myself out shopping for hard to find ingredients and spending hours preparing it. You should have most of these ingredients in your pantry!
I’ve basically taken everything important in a meatloaf in order to make it moist and delicious and cut out the extra steps and ingredients which to me are unnecessary. This is now my go to meatloaf recipe and I step up the nutritional value using grass-fed beef, pasture-raised eggs and by making my own breadcrumbs with Ezekiel bread (*see instructions below in italics). I also use a great paleo ketchup made by Steve’s Paleo Goods. You can sometimes find this at Whole Foods but I order it by the half-case from their site.
Serve this Easy Meatloaf with mashed potatoes, green beans or corn… an amazing hassle-free meal! This is a light, moist meatloaf so take care when you cut it so it doesn’t crumble! If you like your meatloaf more dense increase the breadcrumbs to 1/2 cup and if you want leftovers double the recipe!
*To make your own healthy breadcrumbs, preheat oven to 350 degrees and toast 2 slices of Ezekiel bread (makes about 1/4 cup) cut up into 1/2 inch pieces. Place on a baking tray and toast for about 10-15 minutes until dried and slightly browned. Allow to cool and then use a food processor to turn them into breadcrumbs.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup ketchup for coating, plus more for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together all of the ingredients except the ketchup.
- Loosely shape the meatloaf with your hands into an oval and place the loaf on a smaller sized baking dish or pan. (it will just barely hold shape in your hands as it will be wet). Once it is on the baking pan, shape it into more of a rectangular shape. Make a small indentation with the side of your hand along the top horizontally.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then remove from oven and coat with 1/3 cup of ketchup using a brush to help spread it evenly.
- Place the loaf back in the oven and bake for another 20-25 minutes until the ketchup starts to darken and the bottom edges of the loaf start to sizzle and brown.
For another great recipe using ground beef try my Paleo Shepherd’s Pie!