You know how very once in a while you will eat something and it’s so good you become obsessed? I seriously could eat this Greek Salad with Quinoa, Avocado & Grilled Chicken every day for lunch and dinner! My niece introduced me to this Greek salad from Siggy’s in Soho, NYC and apparently it has a cult following. As I do often, I immediately went home and tried to copy it. I did add some feta, tomatoes, red onion and chickpeas to the recipe though which I think makes it even better! What’s so special about a Greek Salad you ask? I love Greek salads with grilled chicken to begin with but the addition of quinoa for texture and parsley which gives it a fresh flavor just takes it to the next level. Trust me, you are going to be addicted to this salad!
I found out that the absolute BEST feta cheese you can buy is imported from Greece from a company called Dedoni. I first had this cheese at my local Greek restaurant in their Greek salad and everyone at dinner commented that it was the best feta they had ever had because it is super creamy, unlike the dry crumbly feta we usually buy in the supermarket. You might need to go to a Greek specialty store for this. Also, I discovered that to make good Greek dressing (recipe below), you need to use Greek olive oil which is thicker and imported Greek oregano which is much stronger in flavor than regular oregano.
Try to use Compari tomatoes in this Greek Salad with Quinoa, Avocado & Grilled Chicken if you can find them. They are slightly sweeter than your average tomato. Siggy’s uses a lemon based dressing which is great, but I also love it with red wine vinegar. Let me know which you prefer!
- 4 cups baby greens
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 small cucumber, chopped small
- 1/4 cup tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chickpeas, chopped
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, cubed or crumbled
- 1/2 avocado, chopped
- 1/2 cup red quinoa, cooked
- 2 chicken breast cutlets, grilled and sliced
- Mix together:
- 1/4 cup lemon juice or red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup Greek olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon Greek oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Toss the baby greens with the parsley, cucumber, tomato, red onion, chickpeas and olives.
- Top with feta, avocado quinoa, grilled chicken and about 2 tablespoons of Greek Dressing per serving.
Want to try another great Greek Dish? Try my Easy Greek Lamb Chops with Garlic-Yogurt Sauce!